NHS Good Sam Service
This is a support service by phone. Call them on 0808 196 3646 (open 8am to 8pm).
Observe the eligibility criteria:
- People aged 70 years and older with underlying health conditions
- If you are in the ‘extremely vulnerable’ to COVID 19 group and have been sent a letter asking you to shield from the virus
- People who are pregnant
- If you are newly socially vulnerable as a result of COVID 19
- People who are registered disabled
- Others with high-risk conditions could include:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People with serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised including because of cancer treatment
- People of any age with severe obesity e.g. body mass index (BMI) over 40
- Certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as those with diabetes, dementia, renal failure, or liver disease might also be at risk
River Lodge GP Surgery Covid19 bulletin
If you are concerned you have symptoms of Coronavirus please continue to access advice in the first instance via NHS 111 online, or by phoning 111 if you do not have computer access, or if your symptoms are becoming significantly worse.
Patients whom NHS 111 deem to require further assessment will be given a GP appointment time to attend River Lodge Surgery to see a GP who will meet them outside (the GP will be dressed in PPE equipment) in the ‘hot hub’ assessment drive-thro facility.
For most patients, they will be assessed in their car; measuring pulse, oxygen levels and breathing rate. This will allow rapid safe checking of those patients where we need to decide who needs hospital assessment, who can be reassured and advised to continue self-care at home or who needs treatment for a coexisting condition.
This unit is working by appointment only, and we are not yet able to test specifically for the virus but are making quite accurate clinical diagnosis in the vast majority of cases.
The unit will allow rapid and efficient patient assessment in as safe an environment for staff and other patients as we can achieve.
Patients not thought to be at risk of having active Covid infection but needing face to face assessment for any other conditions will be given a GP appointment time at either School Hill or Anchor Field Surgery – the ‘cold’ sites. Please be aware, we are measuring the temperature of all patients on arrival. If your temperature is above 37.8 you may be re-directed to the ‘hot hub’ site if this is felt appropriate. This is for the protection of other vulnerable patients who may be attending the ‘cold sites’, and to minimise the risk of staff infection.
We would like to thank our patients for continuing to actively engage with social distancing, self-isolation, household 14 day quarantining and shielding/supporting those that are shielding. We are also grateful for the understanding people are showing in terms of the limitations the situation is placing on usual day-to-day healthcare. Proactive management of health conditions remains a high priority. We are extremely appreciative of the support and co-operation we have had from our local community pharmacies, as well as all the other community services working alongside us.